*unfortunately Savannah Midwifery is no longer accepting clients due to personal health issues*
GeorgAnna is a nationally credentialed Certified Nurse Midwife (CNM) and Certified Professional Midwife (CPM), licensed in Georgia and South Carolina. She holds a Master's in Nursing and Midwifery and a Bachelor's in Nursing. Additionally, she is a Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner (WHNP), and also earned a Bachelor’s in Behavioral Psychobiology after completing her thesis on Human Reproduction. GeorgAnna is a certified Hypnobirthing instructor, a placenta encapsulator, a creator of herbal remedies, certified in Neonatal Resuscitation (NRP) and adult CPR, Red Cross trained in disaster relief, and an experienced babywearer who founded the Savannah Slingers in 2010.
Practically since her own earthside arrival, GeorgAnna has been fascinated with the world of birthing. From helping cats deliver their kittens, to assisting “pregnant” and breastfeeding Barbie dolls, to at age 10 hypnotizing friends at slumber parties to reveal their own birth stories, GeorgAnna’s childhood revolved around the mystery of coming into the world. This interest evolved throughout high school and college through learning about herbal remedies and working in breeding programs for threatened animal species before she discovered midwifery. Volunteering at a Florida birth center convinced her that she had found her life’s passion and she immediately enrolled in nursing school after graduating from college and started on her journey towards becoming a Masters credentialed Certified Nurse Midwife.
GeorgAnna birthed her first daughter naturally in her living room in 2007 with midwives in England, where home births are supported and encouraged for healthy, low-risk women. Her second daughter was born in 2011 via a home water birth here in Savannah attended by a CPM. Her third child, a son, was born in 2013 into the loving hands of both his big sisters (ages 2 and 6) at home in the water…. Yes, everyone but the midwife was in the pool!
- Nationally certified as a Certified Professional Midwife (CPM) – 2013 – The North American Registry of Midwives
- Women’s Healthcare Nurse Practitioner certificate – 2009 – Frontier School of Midwifery and Family Nursing
- Women’s Healthcare Nurse Practitioner national certification – 2010 – The National Certification Corporation
- Certified Nurse Midwife (CNM) credential - Master's in Nurse Midwifery – 2009 – Frontier School of Midwifery and Family Nursing
- Certified Nurse Midwife certification – 2009 - American Midwifery Certification Board
- Certified HypnoBirthing® Instructor – 2003
- Red Cross – 2002 - Trained in disaster relief
- Bachelor's in Nursing – 2002 - Emory School of Nursing
- Bachelor’s in Behavioral Psychobiology – 1999 - New College, Honors College of the University of Florida
- Clinical training in Tucson, Arizona. University of Arizona's Women's Health Clinic and El Rio Community Health Clinic, serving indigent Latina women. Also worked at an out of hospital birth center in Savannah, Georgia.
- Regularly attends ongoing advanced midwifery training (Birth Emergency Skills workshop, NRP, BLS, working on Aviva Romm’s Women’s Health Herbal certification course, peer review)
Apprenticed in Mexico with Angelina and Esteban Martinez, 4th and 5th generation traditional Mayan Mexican midwives to learn Mayan uterine massage, cupping, and Rebozo techniques for prenatal, birth, and postpartum care, and herbology
- Studied Vipassana meditation, Iyengar yoga, cleansing krias, and Ayurvedic massage in India
- Extensive independent studying of natural and complementary therapies (herbal, homeopathic, hypnosis, massage, watsu) and nutrition to support a holistic model of women's health and maternity care
- Hosted Arvigo Mayan Abdominal Massage workshop, hosting advanced course 2015
Volunteer and Unique Work Experience
Worked with rural native Alaskans assisting with births and providing village healthcare to children.
- Volunteered with Ananda Marga Universal Relief Team working with rural village midwives and teaching pregnancy prevention in Ghana and Nepal.
- Taught STD/HIV prevention, body image counseling, and drug abuse prevention to high school students in the inner city Atlanta.
- Worked with maternity bat colonies in Australia and Utah.
- Worked for Birthlight in the UK – a charity focusing on holistic approaches to pregnancy, birth, and infancy using yoga, water immersion, and breathing methods.
- Worked on organic farms around the world through WWOOF before meeting her British husband on a camel safari in Rajastan, India, and “settling down.”
- Assistant beekeeper
- Grows medicinal herbs for custom remedies and teas
- Hosts wildcrafting herbal workshops